In this WCF tutorial, we will see the new and important features introduced in different versions of Windows Communication Foundation starting fromWCF 3.5, 4.0 toWCF 4.5.
What’s New in WCF v3.5
- WCF support for REST Style Services by introducing Web programming model using rich features of HTTP instead of just a transport.
- In order to build Workflow Services, WCF 3.5 supports integration with WF (Windows Workflow Foundation).
- Using framework 3.5, now we can build AJAX-enabled WCF Services.
- It’s possible to build services using WCF 3.5 that can be easily persisted and reloaded again. Such services are called Durable Services.
- To make WCF Services Interoperable, v3.5 is align with standards like WS-Trust, WS-SecurityPolicy, Web Service Reliable Messaging and Web Service Atomic Transaction etc.
- In order to process Syndication feeds, WCF now supports a strongly typed object model.
- For applications those are configured with a trust level other than Full are called Partial Trust Applications. Such Partial trust applications can use limited features of WCF now.
- Scalability in web-hosted applications.
- Improvements with DataContract serializer.
- For Partial Trust application scenarios, further improved debugging support.
- Using ADO.NET Entity Framework entities in WCF Contracts.
What’s new in WCF v4.0
If we look into the new WCF 4.0 features, we can easily say that it’s developer oriented. A number of new features that improve the productivity of a WCF developer.
- WCF Configuration has been simplified by introducing default endpoints, binding and behavior configuration. Now its not necessary to provide an endpoint while hosting a WCF service, it will be created automatically. And we can have configuration free services as well.
- REST Improvements like Help page and declarative HTTP caching.
- Discovery Alignment with standard like WS-Discovery protocol. A client can dynamically identify the service if a service endpoint address is changing.
- Routing A configurable routing service is introduced providing features like content-based routing, protocol bridging and error handling previously included with Dublin.
- Workflow v4.0 further enhances support for integrating WCF with WF. Now workflow service can be hosted from .xamlx file without .svc file.
Top 10 Interview Questions and Answers Series:
- Top 10 WCF Interview Questions
- Comprehensive Series of WCF Interview Questions
- Top 10 HTML5 Interview Questions
- Top 10 ASP.NET Interview Questions
- Comprehensive Series of ASP.NET Interview Questions
- Top 10 ASP.NET MVC Interview Questions
- Top 10 ASP.NET Web API Interview Questions
- Top 10 ASP.NET AJAX Interview Questions